A Gift of Burlap

One of my friend's kid just turned one this past week and today was his first birthday party.  On the invitation she said 'no gifts'.  So what did I do?  I took a gift.

I didn't get him toys or clothes or other things that will be tossed into a pile of others just like it.  Well, I hope I didn't anyways!  I wanted a gift for mother and son, so I got creative.  And by creative, I mean I scoured Pinterest for a mother who has no time doable gift type project.

I decided on a birth announcement/stats type print.  I had seen few tutorials on how to print on burlap, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I created the announcement in Word and then closely followed the steps here: (http://www.pinkwhen.com/how-to-print-on-burlap/#_a5y_p=1219055 ).

I didn't have any freezer paper at home, so JD was gracious enough to buy some for me on his way home from work.

I cut my burlap and my freezer paper to about the size of standard printer paper (8 1/2 x 11).

freezer paper on the left, regular paper on the right


I ironed the freezer paper on shiny side to the burlap, using the no steam setting on my iron.  It went pretty quick and I did not have to hold the iron on for much time like I have in the past using iron on transfers.




I then trimmed my burlap/freezer paper down to the exact size and emptied all the regular paper out of my printer.



I had to test my printer out to figure with side it printed on before I went all in with the burlap.

I slid the burlap paper into the cartridge and crossed my fingers as I hit the print button.

I have to say I got a little nervous when the printer made a chugging noise....thankfully it printed without any issues!



I was thrilled with the outcome.


In case anyone is wondering, I printed this using a Canon MG5400 with all black letters.  I haven't printed anything else since then, but I'm hoping this didn't cause any issues.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Life in the Big House Blog Design by Ipietoon