Are We Crazy?

This is going to be a random one folks.  And yes, I realize it's been a bit since I've posted, but here goes.

JD is upstair sleeping and I've been awake since 4:30 am....thinking about houses.  A particular house in fact.

Before I get into the details of that house, let me tell you about our current home.  It is a two story, 1908 Queen Ann Victorian Cottage (or so I'm told).  We have 3600 square feet of living space,  downstairs we have a large, mostly open floor plan with a {recently} remodeled kitchen - with a side deck and exterior entry, a library, a sunroom/playroom, two bedrooms that share a Jack-n-Jill style bathroom, a half bath in our hallway, and a mud/doggie room.  We also have a walk in butlers pantry area, all wood and tile floors, high ceilings and original moldings, pocket doors and trim work.  The upstairs has two more bedrooms, one of which is the master suite.  The master has a large bathroom with a shower, double sink and whirlpool tub.  Our room also has a walk in closet and a small sitting area with a separate door.  The other room is on the small side, but our girls currently share it with a small, modified bunk bed.  They love sharing, for now, but I have a feeling soon they will want their own spaces.

Outside we have an amazing wrap around front porch with tons of room (porch swing, large patio set, and two tables for eating), the front yard itself is nice and flat with great grass.  The backyard has alley access and a 2 car garage attached to the house, but with only exterior entry.  The yard is also large and flat, we have a gazebo with lounge chairs, a fire pit and a even a garden area with three really large planters.  Want to see photos of our current home: kitchenand the rest of the house.

*Sigh*

It all sounds so amazing, so am I crazy for wanting a smaller house?????  We have three dogs, 2 girls (one is here every other weekend) and family that comes often to visit.  But I still want that smaller house.  Part of me thinks having a smaller home will mean less to clean, less to maintain, less projects, and more time spent doing things as a family.  That sounds great too, right??

Well, to make matters even worse, I've found quite possibly my dream home.  (I thought our current home was our dream home too....)

It is the most adorable little cottage/farmhouse in an adjoining neighborhood that is still in our current school district.  The house has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a small {gorgeous} kitchen, nice size living room and a basement.  Two of the bedrooms are upstairs and share a hall bath, the third bedroom is currently being used as a playroom and is a bit on the small side, but it is downstairs and has a full bath nearby.  This house has the best curb appeal.  And it has a basement that has tons of storage and isn't all creepy at all.  And I haven't even mentioned a HUGE bonus.  There is a carriage house on the property!!!!  And it is just as large as the main house, and by large, it's really not that big, each building is 1400 square feet.  But back to the carriage house, it has a large open concept first floor and then another living area on the second floor with fireplace, two bedrooms and one shared bathroom....I'm in love.

**All of the below photos were provided by the listing agent and are not my own**

Amazing curb appeal!

Main kitchen...so cute...

Carriage house in back

Main living area with *working* fireplace!

Second floor of the carriage house

I actually did take this one.  First floor of the carriage house.


So what's the problem??? Well, we area bit spoiled by our current location.  We can walk to several restaurants, the zoo, coffee shops, and a brewery.  And more stuff is coming!  The cutest little dream house is probably a mile further away from all these things.....is it worth it?? I DONT KNOW, but I wish I did.

So am I crazy to want to go from 3600 square feet to 1400???? Am I just a house nut that the grass is alway going to be greener in the someone else's yard??? Or do we just need to suck it up and move??

And these are the things that keep up at night.  Anyone made the move from a larger, what you thought was your dream home to smaller, might could be your dream home place???

I welcome all thoughts, crazy like mine and sane too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Life in the Big House Blog Design by Ipietoon